2010 was a tough year. (Um, Heidi, it's the end of 2011...shut up, I'm getting there) As I was saying, 2010 was a really tough year. I went through some seriously emotional shit. As a result, the lessons learned from those experiences didn't really make themselves known for quite some time. Some of the lessons are still being learned, for some, school hasn't even started yet. But this year, I made some important realizations about these experiences and about a billion other things. Here's a list of less than a billion that I'm writing down for my memory and for your entertainment. It includes things that I have known for a long time and just realized to be true, things that I learned in weird, unexpected ways, things that I am still learning, some things that I am just only gleaning little bits of so far, and stuff that I haven't learned to be true but I just know it must. (Note, I'm writing this in both second and first person. I'm not talking to "you," I'm talking to me. But if someone reading this finds some of these lessons to be true, or to be totally bogus, let me hear from you. I don't know how comments works, but I'm sure you can figure it out. You're smart people.)
(oh, also, these are in no particular order.)
1. Brown liquor is actually really awesome. I thought all whiskey tasted like Jack Daniel's. It turns out some of it tastes like angel tears.
2. There is very little that can't be made better by listening to "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, just about anything by Langhorne Slim or "White Knuckles" by OK Go.
3. A good goal is doing everything in my power to preserve the dignity of other humans and my own. I'm still working this one over in my head, but I'm yet to find a hole in the logic of this: if you treat yourself and others with respect, your life is probably going to be pretty good.
4. Being friendly with your co-workers makes work suck a lot less. But you still have to use your inside voice when talking to them.
5. Tell your friends what they mean to you, and thank them when you can. Don't worry about not getting them presents. Just be present when you're with them, because that's all that people really want.
6. You present yourself better to the world when you brush your hair and put on some makeup, even if it's just to go to work or the grocery store. It doesn't make you shallow.
7. It's ok to not put on makeup or brush your hair when you go to the grocery store. But at least don't wear pajama pants.
8. The best album of the year was Mondo Amore by Nicole Atkins, the best new TV show was "Game of Thrones," the best movie (that I saw) was "The Fighter" and the best live show that I went to was Bon Iver.
9. Eli isn't coming back. It's ok.
10. Traveling to general admission Avett Brother shows is no longer worth the hassle or the money. It's ok.
11. You feel better when you write regularly, work out, eat well and get enough sleep. Strive to hit at least 3 out of 4 of these every day.
12. Pork Chop will die someday. It will be devastating, but you can get another dog when he does.
13. Doing stuff alone is actually pretty awesome sometimes. Don't be afraid to do it.
14. Your dad isn't a monster. He could have done better, but he could have done worse. In all, the past is done, and if the worst he does now is tell you that you're too loud, well...you are sometimes. Be nice to him.
15. Sometimes friendships end, and it's for the best. Sometimes you think a friendship is at the end, but you realize you're not quite done with it yet.
16. You have to get out of the house more. Don't flake on plans, even if it's just plans for yourself. You are so lucky to live where you live, take advantage of it.
17. There will never be another character on TV like Tim Riggins.
18. Guys are generally pretty happy when they get to see you naked. Be healthy, but stop apologizing for your body. You are the most beautiful you there is.
19. You don't have everything you want. It doesn't mean you should stop wanting it. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't be happy with everything you have.
20. Friends are important. I can't believe how long I had forgotten about this.